Saturday, November 29, 2008

Objects in the rearview mirror are often clearer

Hindsight is usually 20/20, and it's frustrating as a parent to look back and see all the things we could have/would have/should have done differently. We hope this blog can help with that by sharing what we've learned on the journey so others have more information to make their decisions. This list was compiled by parents whose children have aged out of First Steps about what they wish someone had told them........

Twelve Things I Wish I Would Have Known Transitioning from First Steps

Credit Given -- From Indiana Parents to Indiana Parents

  1. That an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) is different from an Individual Education Plan (IEP) in public schools. IFSPs are developmental in nature while IEPs are educationally based. Eligibility criteria differ.

  1. That I should attend trainings from organizations such as ASK and IN*Source using the Family Involvement Fund (YOU ARE YOUR CHILD’S Best Advocate!).

  1. That I should look into Medicaid Waivers as soon as possible regardless of family income (also CSHCS and SSI…income requirements for these).

  1. That I can bring anyone I wish with me to the case conference (family, First Steps providers, and other advocates).

  1. That First Steps providers and coordinators are making recommendations, not decisions for my child.

  1. That my child has the right to receive special education services where children without disabilities are served such as community preschools or other transition options like Head Start (pending qualification requirements), if appropriate.

  1. That I can join listservs and support groups to learn valuable information from other parents.

  1. That I should begin setting up therapy coverage by insurance BEFORE transitioning out of First Steps (has taken some families 3 months).

  1. That I need to read and re-read and Article 7 so that I know my rights and I can make the best, informed decisions for my child PRIOR to my case conference.

  1. That extended school year services are available to preschoolers if certain criteria are met.

  1. That in First Steps, every family is entitled to a service coordinator, but there is no similar requirement for preschoolers.

  1. That I can change my mind!! Options you choose may be modified to best suit the needs of your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment