Tuesday, December 23, 2008

T’was the Night Before Christmas Break

by Lori Miller Fox

T’was the night before Christmas break, when all through my head,
I knew nothing was scheduled, but worry, and dread;
The boredom was lurking around the corner with fear,
The anxiety of knowing vacation was near;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
After putting on their orthotics, and getting their meds;
And me with my ice cream and dad with his beer,
Were worried, so worried that vacation was near.

Away to the TV Guide I cried and I shrieked,
There must be something they can watch for two weeks!
Between Nintendo and the computer and cable tv,
I’ll get a small break, there will be time for me,
When, what scary thoughts did my mind dare address,
That with nothing to do they’ll get stuck, they’ll regress,
With a pencil and paper, so desperate and quick,
I tried to plan choices from which kids could pick.
More slowly than inch worms the choices they came,
I hemmed and I hawed and called them by name;

There’s the movies! There’s bowling! Museums! The zoo!
There’s shopping! And reading! They’ll find something to do!
When I’m cooking, and cleaning. When I’m on the phone!
They’ll color! They'll play! Please let them LEAVE ME ALONE!
Then I’ll take them. I’ll drive them. Have done all they desired.
I’ll be angry and frustrated! Resentful and TIRED!
I’m a mom. I’m a person. I need to renew.
I’ll tell them that sometimes, moms have special needs too!

We need space and alone time, lots of coffee to drink,
A place to unwind, peace and quiet to think,
Self-worth and a purpose, our own goals to attain,
And at times, a short respite, to battle the pain;
To treat ourselves as our children, more gently than tough,
So the bumps in the road will be a little less rough.
Yet despite all the struggles, the challenge, the strife,
I could not imagine a more wonderful life!

http://specialedlaw.blogs.com/home/2006/12/twas_the_night_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment